Saturday, February 1, 2014

Junkyard Terrain

These are scaled for 40K, War Machine and Infinity. Four large pieces on board and two smaller pieces on sealed styrene foam. Took over a week to piece together and have been in play in my studio for nearly a year. A coat of paint has been added to touch up light scuffing from storing them on top of each other on the shelf. Really don't recommend stacking terrain like that. Better to separate the pieces with a towel or bubble wrap.

Anyway, here are the pictures:D

And an overhead shot of a few pieces

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tyranid Hive Node


This is part of a display board. I won't be painting it. It's nearly done. All that's left is to texture the base and add a few more tendrils then prime it white for the client.  It measures fifteen inches to the platform and nineteen to the tallest spire. Total time has been eleven hours including consultation and initial sketches.  I think the next 'big' project will be the Castle of the Crystal from Dark Crystal.  Should only take me thirty hours.

Some photos of the display board, now completed.

Since the client is doing his own painting, I've primed the board in black for the earthen colors and white for the Tyranid bits. The bright orange Termagant is part of my scale reference minis. 

Monday, January 13, 2014

Adeptus Mechanicus Display Board

I've recently taken on a commission to fabricate an army board reminiscent of an air strip for an army of Adeptus Mechanicus. The client had the idea of the hanger bays from the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.  Since there's to be upwards of 80 bases, several large including two flying bases, he asked for a 24"x36" board. I suggested going with all wood substrate and details in styrene. After a rough layout was drawn, the client, Ben, set out his models to confirm the space then it was off to the hardware store and hobby shops to get the materials.

I went with 3/4" x 1 1/4" got the frame and 1/4" thick fiberboard for the surface. For the bay housing and observation deck I used 3/8" thick fiber board. Now, I don't have a scroll saw so I use a tile knife to cut the shapes needed.

The main board was screwed to the frame and wood filler used to cover the screws and add a somewhat smoother surface to the frame.

The diamond plate, set in a 1:48th scale, was added the whole of it was primed in a Fenrisian Grey mixed with a bit of black.

The AM logo was free hand with a graphite transfer as a guide. The caution stripes were achieved with a bit of masking.

Here are some close-ups of the initial weathering:

UPDATE: Landing Lights and Thruster Burns.